Libraries to me seemed the logical starting point for any journey of literacy. We have books, computers and people with a love of information. Helpful sorts of people tend to gravitate to working in the library. We actually enjoy making someone else's day better by introducing them to a new Fiction title or nurturing a budding interest in technology by teaching them a new technology tip or technique. I soon found however that each person had to pick and choose from the plethora of new sites and capabilities. Try to share too many new Web2.0 capabilities and you lose your audience altogether from sheer overload. So, how do I find the best Web2.0 objects, learn them well enough to retain them and then how best to preserve that knowledge until it is ready to be revealed to an audience? One easy way is to learn something and use it on a regular basis. But I soon found that impossible to maintain. Real work duties kept interfering with this grand plan. So I continue with my quest and continue to learn as much as I can of the Web 2.0 as it grows and develops. My hope is that as my learning expands it will lead me to a manageable way to preserve and protect this knowledge until the time is right to unveil it for the willing audience. What I began in http://libraryliteracy.edublogs.org I will continue here with the PA Web 2.0 project.
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Musings on Day 1
My library literacy journey actually began much before today's post. The birth of my journey could probably be traced to 2004 when I began my first job in a high school library. I was fascinated at how technology in an educational setting took on a whole new meaning when you were facing time, budget and teen issues. My quest began as a simple desire to make technology access easier for school personnel, faster to set up, requiring less intervention by others to get running and I hoped as a result, to make using technology easier to integrate into lessons. There were many mundane ways I began this journey; I won't belabor the details. But at that time I did not know that it was a journey of evolving library literacy upon which I had serendipitously embarked and continue to pursue.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment